Azulik is an eco-friendly, romantically rustic adults-only resort in the beach town of Tulum, Mexico. Azulik is situated in the hotel zone, amid lush jungle just steps from the Caribbean Sea. The beach at Azulik is clothing optional.
Check rates >
The Grounds at Azulik:
Guests check in at an open-air wooden-decked cabana reception area surrounded by jungle. A sandy path leads to a boardwalk fashioned from mismatched planks of wood and rope. At night the boardwalk is strung with lanterns. The resort ends at a sheltered curve of beach flanked by rocky headlands.
The Rooms at Azulik:
There are fifteen free-standing villas at Azulik. Each faces the Caribbean Sea: twelve are situated along the wooden boardwalk right at the edge of the sand, while three are set slightly back in the jungle, though still steps from the beach.
The stilted villas are thatched-roof houses made from rough-hewn log frames, with floor to ceiling glass windows all around, large wooden decks with soaking tubs and thick bamboo blinds that guests can shut for extra privacy.
The villas consist of one large room with a partition wall dividing the bathroom from the main area. The bed is draped with a white net, which doubles as a romantic prop and a mosquito deterrent. A white day bed/lounge hangs from the ceiling by ropes, and a carved log bathtub is set by the window so you can gaze out at the ocean while soaking.
The decorating is simple and minimal in scope: a rustic table, two chairs and some brightly colored cushions are the only other design elements. Another hanging day bed and a swing on the deck make this a lovely place to catch passing breezes.
As there is no electricity in the villas, each is stocked with candles for when the sun goes down.
- The beach, which stretches in front of Azulik and its neighboring sister hotels Copal and Zahra, is remarkably beautiful. The sand is soft and white, the water delightfully warm (although prone to seaweed) and the proximity of the jungle-clad headlands make it feel secluded and private. While all parts of the beach in front of the three properties is clothing optional, the stretch of sand in front of Copal is the most popular with nude sun worshippers
- The villas feel very private and spending time on the deck watching the sun rise or set is a memorable experience
- Given how few of the resorts in the hotel zone are on the grid, light pollution is virtually non existent, so the star-gazing is second to none
- No children are allowed, so it’s perfect for couples seeking an utterly grown-up romantic time away
- There are no showers in the rooms, just baths
- The lack of electricity (no phones, no TV, no lights, no A/C) might be a turn off for those who like their creature comforts
- Azulik doesn’t have a restaurant, so guests need to either order room service or go off-site to eat
As a low-key romantic escape, Azulik has the competition beat. The villas are simple but lovely and the oceanside setting, gentle breezes and soothing soundtrack of the surf make for some unforgettable moments with a paramour.
Address: Carretera Tulum-Ruinas Km 5, Zona Hotalera Tulum
Reservations: Toll Free US/Canada +1 866 471-3472
Room Rates: $$$
Check rates >
Read a review of Cabanas Copal, the sister resort of Azulik which is family-friendly, or read more about nude and clothing optional beaches and resorts in Mexico.