The US State Department issues travel alerts and travel warnings to advise citizens about circumstances that may pose a risk to their safety. Travel Alerts give information about short-term circumstances that people should take into account when visiting a particular country, whereas Travel Warnings describe long-term conditions that may make travel to a certain country, or specific areas within a country, inadvisable.
Current Travel Alerts and WarningsTravel alerts and warnings for Mexico have been issued over the past several years to inform travelers about violence, particularly in the area along the US border due to drug trafficking; protests; and health concerns due to the outbreak of H1N1 (swine flu) in Spring 2009.
Past Mexico Travel Alerts and Security Concerns in Mexico:
- July 12, 2013 This travel warning contains few changes from the previous warning. Most tourist destinations are deemed safe, areas that are best avoided are outlined in a state-by-state list. Visitors to the state of Guerrero are encouraged to stay in the tourist areas of Acapulco, Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo and Taxco; and visitors to Mazatlan in the state of Sinaloa are advised to stick to the tourist areas of that city.
- November 20, 2012 This warning reassures travelers that most tourist and resort areas in Mexico are safe to visit, while specifying areas to avoid.
- February 8, 2012 This travel warning contained links to a map showing the areas mentioned in the warning.
- April 22, 2011 This travel warning goes into detail about specific places to avoid completely, or practice caution.
- September 10, 2010 Travel warning: avoid travel to parts of Mexico along the U.S. border, and exercise caution when traveling throughout Mexico, particularly in unfamiliar areas.
- March 14, 2010 Mexico Travel Warning: Avoid Border Areas
- August 20, 2009 Travel Alert Urges US Citizens to Avoid Chihuahua and Michoacan
- May 15, 2009 - Swine Flu Travel Alerts Lifted
- April 28, 2009 - Swine Flu Travel Warnings and Advisories for Mexico
- February 2009 - Mexico Travel Alert Updated and Is Cancun Safe?
- October 2008 - Department of State Updates Mexico Travel Alert
- April 2008 - US Issues Travel Alert
- April 2007 - Drug Violence Sparks Travel Alert
- October 2006 - Conflict in Oaxaca
- September 2006 - Travel Safety Concerns
- August 2006 - Tourists Advised to Avoid Protests