To the north of the Cathedral, you will find the Plaza de la Rotonda. This is a shaded green space with the monument Rotonda de los Jaliscienses Ilustres, (Rotunda of the Illustrious People of Jalisco) honoring notable people from the state of Jalisco who distinguished themselves in arts, science, education, human rights, law, and politics. The monument was previously known as the Rotonda de Hombres Ilustres de Jalisco (Rotunda of Illustrious Men of Jalisco) until the only woman to be honored, Irene Obledo Garcia, a teacher and humanist, came to rest here in the year 2000.
The monument was built in 1951 by architect Vicente Mendiola, as an initiative of then Governor José Jesús González Gallo. Previously this had been the site of the Templo de la Soledad church. The monument consists of seventeen grooved columns supporting a stone ring on which is engraved the words "Jalisco a sus hijos esclarecidos" (roughly translated: "To Jalisco's distinguished sons"). In the center of the monument there are urns containing the cremated remains of those honored here.
There are twenty-four statues surrounding the plaza; the one pictured here is of Ignacio Vallarta, governor of the state of Jalisco from 1872 to 1876 (Puerto Vallarta was named for him). Some of the other people honored here are scientist Leonardo Oliva, poet Enrique González Martinez, composer Clemente Aguirre, architect Jacobo Gálvez, General Manuel M. Dieguez and painter José Clemente Orozco.
The next stop on our walking tour of Guadalajara: Plaza de la Liberacion and the Teatro Degollado