Guadalajara's Catedral Metropolitana is located at #10 Avenida Alcalde between Avenida Hidalgo and Avenida Morelos, directly north of the Plaza de Armas.
Construction of this cathedral was ordered by Philip of Spain and began in 1568 when Bishop Pedro de Ayala laid the first stone. The cathedral wasn't dedicated until 1618, however. The original towers were square; these were damaged by an earthquake in 1818, and later demolished. The current Neo-Gothic towers date from 1848 and are covered with yellow tiles from Sayula, a town located about 60 miles south of Guadalajara.
The cathedral is dedicated to the Assumption of Mary. The interior has 9 altars and three chapels. The cathedral's Baroque decorations were removed between 1810 and 1820 and replaced with Neoclassical decoration which was preferred at the time. The current altarpieces date roughly from 1820 to 1835. A late 19th-century French organ, one of the largest in Mexico, is located in a loft above the main entrance.
The next stop on our walking tour of Guadalajara: Plaza Guadalajara, located across the street from the front of the cathedral.