Construction of the Santo Domingo church took place between 1571 and 1611, except for the left tower which was not completed until the 19th century. The dark grey facade is severe, but the interior of the church is more ornate, with gilded stucco work. The impressive main altar dates to 1688 and is attributed to Pedro Maldonado.
To the left of the main altar is the Rosary Chapel (pictured above), built in 1690. This is an outstanding example of Mexican Baroque, with dazzling use of gilded stucco and onyx stonework.
Next door to the Santo Domingo church, at 5 de Mayo 409, is the Galeria Bello y Zetina. This small museum features 19th century fine and decorative arts, with paintings by Jose Agustin Arrieta and Gerardo Murillo Cornado (known as Dr. Atl). Entrance is free.
Next stop on the walking tour: the el Calle de los Dulces.
Directions: Walk half a block north to 6 Oriente, also known as el Calle de los Dulces.