1. Travel
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.
Suzanne Barbezat

Documents for Minors Traveling to Mexico

By February 6, 2013

Follow me on:

In November 2012 some new regulations were brought into effect for minors traveling to Mexico unaccompanied by their parents. The new requirements stated that proof of the parents' permission for the child to travel should be shown via an authorization letter, which needed to be translated and legalized by the Mexican Consulate or Embassy. Many people were initially unaware of the changes, and unfortunately, some were turned away by airlines who refused to carry them without the necessary documents for entry into Mexico. The Mexican government decided to postpone the implementation of the rule for a few months, until February 15, 2013, to give travelers time to gather the necessary documentation prior to their trip. However, they've since suspended the requirement longer, and it is now on hold until January 24, 2014.

According to the website of the Mexican Secretary of External Relations: "In the aim of facilitating the travel of national and foreign tourists, Mexican immigration authorities will allow the entry to and departure from Mexican territory, of minors travelling with at least one parent; with the person who holds parental authority; alone or accompanied by an adult who does not hold parental authority; with the presentation of the minor's valid passport."

I'm sure many prospective travelers are breathing a sigh of relief to know this documentation won't be required until next year. If you have any doubts about the necessary travel documents, contact the Mexican embassy or consulate nearest you for updated information. Learn more about entry requirements for kids traveling to Mexico.

February 18, 2013 at 4:50 am
(1) Jill says:

I have full custody of my children. Their fathe is a Mexican citizen and lives in Mexico. I want to send them unaccompanied via airplane to Mexico this summer for visitation with their father. My children have valid passports. What other documentation will they need or other regulations or requirements should I be aware of?

March 6, 2013 at 2:49 pm
(2) Suzanne Barbezat / Mexico Travel says:

According to the website of Mexico’s Secretary of External Relations (as quoted above), only a passport is required. This will change next year when the new requirements come into effect. It might make things easier for them if they had a letter from you that they could present which gives your authorization for the trip and states the dates and purpose of the trip, and attach a copy of proof of custody and a copy of your ID (with signature). This is not an official requirement, but may be handy in case they get asked questions at immigration.

May 10, 2013 at 1:23 pm
(3) Sue says:

I am travelling to Mexico with my husband, my son (17) and his girlfriend (17) I really don’t no what documents I need for his girlfriend I have been told I need a letter of consent from her mum but having read things on the Internet I’m totally confused and worried! Do I need it translated? Do I need a birth certificate, do I need the dads consent also because she doesn’t really see him also I read that the letter needs to be witnessed? I didn’t realise when I booked it that it would be so complicated!

September 6, 2013 at 7:12 pm
(4) Jeanne M Lee says:

I want to go to Mexico with my three
Kids! But I need to know what I need
For them! One fathers rights has been
Terminated and the other father is in
Mexico! The father that is here in the
Us said he would let me take the baby!
What can I do?

November 11, 2013 at 12:01 am
(5) Alejandra G says:

I have three kids and will like to send them to mexico for the Christmas break to visit my dad. My question is do they need a passport? I was told before that if they are under 16yrs old they only need a ID and birth certificate. Is that true?

January 18, 2014 at 12:43 pm
(6) samantha says:

how soon will we know after the 24th January 2014 what the new rules will be? I have never visited mexico and my husband wants to take us there as a family. I have a son from a previous relationship. I have residencey and we both have parental responsibility for my son. I personally think that the embassy should also take into account that some ex partners wont sign letters to agree to let you take children to certain countries to make life difficult because they are bitter. Therefore myself and my husband who is in the royal air force cannot visit mexico.

March 7, 2014 at 5:42 pm
(7) Suzanne says:

More recent information about requirements for travel to Mexico with children listed here: http://gomexico.about.com/b/2014/01/22/mexico-travel-requirements-for-children.htm

Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.