1. Travel
Suzanne Barbezat

Safety in Cancun

By February 25, 2010

A year ago I wrote about concerns of prospective visitors about safety in Cancun. Many readers commented on that blog post, several who were in the process of planning a trip and were concerned about the safety of their destination choice. Two people who have recently returned from Cancun have written about their experience, and their perception of risks to travelers there.

Singlemom writes:
I left a comment on November 25 asking if it was safe to travel with my two daughters alone. Well we have gone and returned and I can tell you that I never once felt in danger. I used my common sense. I was very worried before I left and swore I would not leave the resort. I ended up not being on my resort very much, as we did so many activities like swimming with the dolphins, jungle tour, captain hook cruise, going to the mall.. etc. We were always back at our resort for dinner and tired from our days of excitement we were in bed by 11. So in answer to is Cancun safe... absolutely. Just don't put yourself in a situation that it may not be. It was an awesome family vacation that we will always remember but if you are looking to go get drunk in an unfamiliar place, well then yes, you are taking the chance of putting yourself in danger.
John writes:
Just spent a week in Cancun at the Gran Melia Resort earlier this month and had a wonderful vacation! People are extremely nice and definitely make you feel very welcome. Always felt safe along the main strip in the hotel zone (Avenida Kukulcan) and even when I ventured out into town. The only warning: only drink bottled water. Other than that, have a great time in Cancun!! I would definitely return to Mexico.

These travelers to Cancun are affirming what I've been saying all along: you can have a safe and fun vacation in Cancun, just practice general safety precautions and party safe.

More information about Cancun:
Comments
February 25, 2010 at 3:21 pm
(1) eddieMex says:

Great to hear people speaking out about their positive adventures in Mexico. Yes I understand that there are some no so pretty places to visit down there but that’s anywhere. We have some spots here in the states I would tell tourist to stay away from.

Thanks for the post.

February 26, 2010 at 10:06 pm
(2) Rojita says:

As with any experience… the best thing you can do to keep yourself safe while traveling is USE COMMON SENSE!!
I travel to Mexico regularly and have managed to enjoy each visit without problems (or stomach upsets)!
Unfortunately some violent incidents often get blown out of proportion and used by the media to discourage travel to Mexico, but the truth is you are as safe south of the border as here IF you USE COMMON SENSE!!!!

March 2, 2010 at 11:01 pm
(3) Christopher says:

I totally agree! Mexicans are very nice and so pleasant! I vacationed in Isla Mujeres at Casa de la Playa Resort and had the most amazing experience.

And Rojita, of course! USE OF COMMON SENSE is very much a synonym of safety. If you don’t want to be robbed or get involved with drugs, stay away from it!

May 24, 2010 at 11:51 pm
(4) Mary says:

I agree with Rojita. Common sense is the best although some safety tips are necessary. The last time I went to Mexico I didn’t encounter problems because I pretty much relied on my instincts.

June 7, 2010 at 4:07 pm
(5) Misty says:

I am so glad I cam across this page. I have a trip planned for my honeymoon with my fiance in August. We are staying at a resort in Cancun. Since my decision to go to Cancun, people have recently made a point to tell me about all the crime and what not that goes on there. So, since I have not been out of the state of Arkansas very much, I started doing research online. This was the only blog sight I found that had good things said on it. I don’t want to know what it is like to live there, but what it is like to go vacation. So, thanks for easing my mind a little.

June 7, 2010 at 7:36 pm
(6) ML says:

I have also heard of all the violence in Cancun. My family and I planned to stay at the resort because of it. I stayed at Crown Paradise Club…great place! My 2nd time there and I will be returning hopefully soon! Before we went anywhere outside of the resort, we asked the workers at the hotel if it was safe. We ended up at a mall, flea market and Senor Frogs which was really fun. Just don’t put yourself in a bad situation. We didn’t hit the party town at night although our hotel does have a bus for that.

September 1, 2010 at 10:25 pm
(7) Michelle says:

At 23 I moved to Cancun, attracted to the beauty of the sea…for 15 years we have invested here, worked here, played here, traveled around the world and came back to here. I have never ever felt unsafe walking around even areas of downtown where I have a tailor and where I buy flowers, where they say I should no go…I am a six foot blonde and believe me with 5 foot Mayans everywhere they notice where I go…but never a problem. These people are gentle, harmless..they are the ones that serve you , that love to provide for you. I have been naturalized as a Mexican now and I would hate to live anywhere else. We are free here.

September 25, 2010 at 2:46 pm
(8) Emmanuelle says:

We love Mexico and think with all the media covering assaults and or murders, it is true, very scary… We are a family of 4 with 2 kids (5 and 9) and we travelled soooo many times to Cancun and Merida (3 hours away from Cancun, beautiful city). Did a lot of Resorts: Moon Palace, Paradisus, Trees Rios, H-10, Blue Blay, Le Blanc… also rented beachfront villas for 3 weeks to a month when the kids were off from school. We had to do our own shopping, rented a car and we never felt threatening but alway was smart about our behavior DRINK BOTTLED WATER WHEN YOU ARE OFF THE RESORT, DO NOT GET DRUNK, DO NOT GET INTO DRUGS OR PEOPLE WHO ARE DEALING WITH DRUGS…DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE, RESPECT THE SPEED LIMIT, BE CAREFUL ABOUT WHERE YOU PUT YOUR WALLET OR COMPUTER AND OTHER ELECTRONIC DEVICES…IF YOU THREAT PEOPLE WITH RESPECT AND COURTESY YOU WILL HAVE THE SAME IN RETURN. Mexican are wonderful people and helpful too when you need any kind of information to get around. In EVERY country there are some areas to be avoided or not to walk late at night, just be aware and careful. We love some parts of Mexico sooo much that we are considering building a house (NOT IN CANCUN THE PRICES ARE CRAZY…) in a couple of years to be able to espace from the stressful lives of the cosmopolitain city.
Nobody deserve to be assaulted or murdered, being at the wrong place in the wrong time is one thing; in some situation it could’ve been prevented by making wiser decisions…

November 19, 2010 at 12:03 am
(9) John says:

One thing on sites like this that always bug me… these people saying they never “felt” they were in danger… are you all Spider-man’s kin? You don’t sense any danger.. if you did then NO crime would happen. You only sense threats when someone is hitting you on the back of the head.

Common sense doesn’t protect you from criminals, crime happens everywhere, and in some places much worse than others. Mexico happens to be pretty dangerous, and I bet if you ask the people who are mugged, shot, drugged, raped, and robbed if they felt any danger before hand, or if their common sense warded off the bullets and you would get the common sense answer of, “No stupid, we felt safe or else we wouldn’t have been hurt if you knew it was coming!”

So stop saying you felt you weren’t in danger, single person testimonials mean anything without real statistics. So sorry if I sound angry, but it is sensible to be concerned overall when traveling to a country with a proven corrupt government and law enforcement agency, and a drug war that is tearing two nations apart. So yes, travelers need to be concerned and if they are concerned than they need to know what real dangers exist so they can avoid them. They don’t need to be told that someone posted online, who could be dead now due to a car accident or other random thing.. hit in the head with a meteor… is saying they never sensed danger.

December 14, 2010 at 12:27 am
(10) Dave216 says:

I have several times flown into Cancun, rented a car, and drove the 307 to Belize. Beautiful road, friendly people, and great food along the road. The last time I was there was almost a year ago.
A friend of mine went there this summer on his honeymoon and found a different result. He reported troops stationed every couple miles along the 307 stopping trafic and searching vehicles. His claim is that the 307 in now a major drug route and that the resorts are telling all the guests not to venture out.
So did my friend hit the 307 on a bad day? The resort owners probly want you to stay in and spend your money with them, but I don’t know what to make of the highway situation. I may not have the highway number correct, but the new 4 lane from Cancun to chetumal.